Sunday, December 15, 2013

29 Year Anniversary

Excuse me whilst I get personal for a few minutes. But it can't be helped. It is a great day!


29 years ago today, I married the man of my dreams. I know that sounds a little cliche, but I'm telling you... as a young girl, teenager, and young adult, I had the same hopes and dreams about my future. They never changed. When I was in grade school, I remember having to write down what we "wanted to be when we grew up", and I wrote two words: A Mom. My teacher didn't think that was enough, and tried to get me to write something in addition to that, but I couldn't come up with anything else. There wasn't anything else, as far as my hopes and dreams were concerned. Now, if I had been on my toes, I might have changed it to: Wife and Mother. But, to me they were all encompassed in one word anyway. That all went without saying.

And then, when I was 21, I met Bob. And that's where the hopes and dreams turned into a reality. I'm not saying our lives have been perfect and free from trials and challenges since we've been married. We've had our share, and I'm sure there's more to come. That's just part of being on this earth. But through it all, I've always been living my dreams. (Again, cliche) But there's no other way to put it. 

And who knew? My mom told me that through the years we would just continue to grow more and more in love, and I couldn't really comprehend loving Bob more than I did the day I married him. But now I get it. I know that what she said is completely true. 

Our lives continue to get more and more full. The experiences we have are like beautiful pieces of a quilt -- all different patterns and shapes, but fitting together and making the whole quilt more and more beautiful as it continues to grow. 


And I say to myself, "How can this quilt possibly be any more beautiful than it is now?". And then, as the next son or daughter-in-law, or grand baby is added to the family, their is more beauty. And even when we have something really hard and sometimes really painful to go through, as we make it through the other side of it, we take another look at our "quilt" and lo and behold, it has become that much more lovely. 

How little did I know 29 years ago, when I was that smiling, happy bride, that my life would be this deeply rich and sweet. Words can't express how blessed and eternally grateful I am for the man that has been by my side and made every bit of it possible. Oh, how I love you, Bob.



No comments:

Post a Comment