Friday, August 1, 2014

The August Garden

The August garden. A tricky thing, it is. The perennials have mostly given their all (there are still a few who are end-of-the-season performers... asters, mums, etc.), and even some of the annuals are looking leggy and worn out from keeping their act together during the hottest days of the summer. 

I've got a few spots of "summer pretty" still going on. My mom gave me some zinnia seeds fresh from the dried heads of her zinnias this past year. She got the plants from her sister. She just dug a few out of her flower bed, and drove them two hours to her own home, and transplanted them there. My mom is one of the honest-to-goodness green thumb gardeners. She can plant anything and will it to grow through her tender loving care of it. And I'm not exaggerating. Her garden is one of the loveliest I've ever seen!

I decided to grow my seeds in and around my pumpkin plants to give that area a little zing. And since I planted my pumpkins in the flower garden this year, I thought it important that they have a little zing. 


Look how cute those sweet zinnias are popping up around my pumpkin plants! They are so bright and have such a variety of colors. I love them!


You can see the pumpkins and pumpkin blossoms growing in the background.


And, I might add... I have loads of pumpkins this year! Yay!




The annuals are still giving quite a show in our backyard. And I think it's been so hot, that our snakes have taken up residence in and around our neighbors pond. I'm crossing my fingers, anyway. I haven't seen a snake since that one sat on the wall and stared at me.






Something about purples and orange. So striking together!



No comments:

Post a Comment