Thursday, March 20, 2014

First Day of Spring!

from thewheatfield

Can you believe the first day of spring is finally here? It feels so good. Even though we know around here there will be another snow squall or two, there is the feeling that warmer days are here! Yay! I've had the chance to work just a little bit outside, and I've got tons more to do. But even just a day with my hands in the dirt felt amazing. We need to prune our Nashi Pear trees and also our Barletts. This weekend will be the drop dead last day to do it. The shoots are all budding and we'll have blossoms here before we know it! 

Since we took part of our yard out to build our backyard garage, there is some patching and re-working that needs to be done. I'm not sure whether you know this or not, but construction guys on tractors don't much care what they're driving over. They are just working to get the job done, as evidenced in this grainy video I took during that phase of the project. (Notice the poor little birdhouses that need repairing on the table. There's also a nest that came out of the bottom of one of the birdhouses)


He just comes flying down the driveway, dumps, returns to the front yard, and repeat. I've got some real repair work to do, in addition to the normal clean up after winter. But, I like me a challenge, so I'm excited for the project(s) in the next few weeks. 

By the way, have you noticed the birds are chirping these days? The house finches are busily finding places for nests. I love how the mommy bird sits and chirps orders at the daddy bird as he works to place the twigs and bits of string into place. He chirps back at her, as if to say, "Here? Does the twig look okay here?" And she chirps back saying, "Move it a bit to the right, and then it's perfect."



No comments:

Post a Comment