Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Easter traditions

We had a wonderful Easter weekend! The weather could not have been more perfect! On Friday we had a snowstorm, and had a few inches of snow covering everything. We were a little nervous about how the Easter-egg hunt would go on Saturday... would it be sloshy and muddy and cold?

On Saturday morning we woke up to the bright beautiful sun, and not a sign of the snow that covered everything the day before! The apple-pear blossoms were at their absolute peak that day, too!


Apple-pear blossoms


Our annual Easter-egg hunt is a tradition that has been going on for years and years now. My mom and my sisters and their families all come for "egg hunting" and a hot dog lunch. The sisters or older grand-kids all hide the eggs all over the yard:




and then the "hunters" are all released from inside the house, and the eggs are all found and scooped up in a matter of minutes.  It is amazing how fast it is all over and done with!  My mom and my sisters and I provide the filled eggs -- 12 eggs per child or grandchild that is going to be hunting for eggs. I don't have any grandchildren as of yet, but I figured my big kids would still want to look for eggs, and they did!  At least the girls did! 


Whitney hunting for eggs


Anyway, we always do extra eggs so the kids all end up with plenty of eggs to find! This year I put peeps all around the yard on little wooden skewers as an added decoration and treat to find. I wasn't sure if anyone would actually eat them, but they were completely gone along with the eggs!


A cute little grand-niece eating a Peep-on-a-stick!


All in all, it was a great day! I love getting together and just being able to enjoy each other's company!


On Sunday, after a truly great set of church meetings, we had our kids over for Easter Dinner. Of course we had all the usual fixins: ham, funeral potatoes, salads, and homemade rolls. Again, the best part of all of it is just having our family together. With the busy work and school schedules, we're not always all together, so I love it when it happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment