Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A second pond?

Bob and I built a pond the summer after we moved into our home -- about 12 years ago! We love hearing the water moving down the little stream and splashing from the little waterfall. We have 16 koi. Some have been with us from the start and are humongous monsters.


The other day, we noticed a leak in a pipe that leads from pond pump up to the top of the stream. As much as we would like two ponds, this is not the time to be filling our yard with a swampy mess. Wedding guests generally don't come wearing waders. So, Bob dug up the area around it.


What is it about a man who knows how to do absolutely everything, can fix anything, and doesn't mind getting his hands dirty?! Seriously. I could stare at this picture all day long. I may have it enlarged and hang it above our fireplace mantel.


Anyway, back to the story. He got in there and saw that the pipe had a couple of holes in it, so he fixed it. Our hope is that there weren't more holes in it. What you can't see in the photo, is the wisteria (the plant that is playfully tickling the back of his head). Its trunk and roots are right behind his arm, and the pipe goes right under and through the roots. So, if there is another leak, my lovely wisteria may have to have some surgery. At any rate, that will have to wait until after the wedding. For now we have filled the hole back in and we are waiting to see if it will dry. We may or may not be crossing our fingers.

From my vantage point on the little bench, I had a pretty little view of our patio.


Okay, that may sound like I was just observing while he was doing all the work. He did do all the digging and pipe fixing, but I was a pretty good water-scooper-outer as the water would fill up in the hole. I'm pretty sure there is no way he could have accomplished that repair without me. But, in the meantime, while I was waiting for the water to accumulate, I enjoyed the amazing view.


No comments:

Post a Comment