Thursday, February 28, 2013

Buffet Food Signs

When we had our 50th birthday party (that sounds like I'm the queen of England, talking about "our" birthday party... both Bob and I had our 50th birthdays four days apart, so that's why is used the word "our") ...anyway, as I was saying, when we had our birthday party, I made some little chalkboard buffet signs because we had several different kinds of cake. I wanted people to know what they were eating.

The signs were easy to make, and I'll be able to use them again for other events.

I had Bob cut out several little pieces of wood with his magic laser machine. I think you could find little wood shapes at Joann's or Hobby Lobby, or even online.

I spray-painted the wood signs with spray chalkboard paint. They covered really well, but I gave them three good, solid coats, just to be sure.


After they dried, I chalked down the surfaces, then wiped it off with a soft cloth. This gave them all  more of a used chalkboard look, and also made it so that if I were using chalk on them, they would be easier to erase.


I ended up using a Bistro Chalk Marker that I got at Joann's. I like the look of the sharp lines, instead of chalk, since these were on the small side.


And voila... the finished product, just waiting for the scrumptious cake! I found the tiny easels at Joann's, too.


After the party, I wiped the little signs down with a wet cloth, and now we're back to blank signs. I think they will be useful for other parties, but I also may use them for a little talent show/art display we have coming up in Activity Days.

1 comment: