Tuesday, February 5, 2013

February Week 1 - Juices and Drink Mixes

Its the first week of February! This week's food storage items are:

February Week 1: Juices: Gatorade powder, Kool-Aid, Crystal Light, lemon concentrate, 
apple juice, grape juice

Notice that the highlighting is now in red. This will be the color for all of the items in the month of February, and will coordinate with the items on the main inventory sheets.

When I checked these items in my food storage, I found that all of my juices had expired except for the powdered fruit juice mix I had canned at the dry-pack cannery a few years ago. Its probably not something I will ever use, unless there is a real long-term emergency. At that point, I may be extremely happy to drink it (possibly).

We don't drink a lot of fruit juice anymore, though I do love it. Too many calories when I compare it to a glass of water. That being said, I like to have some on hand, and I'm pretty sure I would love to have some if there were a long-term emergency! So, I will have a few small jugs of juice on the shelves. I also like to keep Gatorade powder. (Now this is something I NEVER use, unless I'm on a pioneer trek in the middle of Wyoming. And there, in the middle of nowhere, I chug it down like its my most favorite thing in the world) Because it might be really great to have in an emergency, I like to keep a couple of containers of the powder concentrate on my food storage shelves.

I also like to have lemon concentrate on hand. I use that occasionally in my cooking, and hate to not have any on hand when I need it. So, I just keep an extra bottle of it in my food storage. Might be good to have lime concentrate also.

So, now I have my shopping list in hand for this week. I'll pick up the items I need in my food storage and update my inventory sheet, and then I'll be done for the week.

If you like different juices or Kool-Aid or Crystal Light, or any other fruit drink mix or juice, add those to your list and stock up this week! We'll be working on tomato juice at another time, so work on all the other juices this week.

If you want the full info on the Week-By-Week Food Storage Plan, just click on the tab at the top of the page. It also has the information as to how you can get a copy of the weekly schedule as well as the complete inventory sheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment