Sunday, February 3, 2013

Half a century... a drop in the bucket!

I wonder if you can guess what event we have coming up in the next little while...

recent Costco purchase

received this in the mail.

received this in an email
this week
(Thanks, Jeana!)

Yes, you guessed it! We're turning 50! I think there is some comfort in the fact that we're both jumping into the 50's together -- 4 days apart.

There are a few things that need mentioning in all of this hullabaloo.  First of all, why all the hullabaloo? I didn't receive any ads in the mail when I turned 30 or 40, directed to some medical care that I should be looking into. There weren't any vitamins that were specific to 30 or 40 year olds and their needs. I'm getting the idea that this one is a biggie. I guess half a century IS a pretty big deal, and something to celebrate, right? (50 years used to be so very many years, and now its just a drop in the bucket)

So along with all of the hullabaloo and medical procedures and new (adapted to my very age) vitamins, it seems that people think I should be either fearing this new stage, or at the very least, just plain old depressed. Strangely enough, both Bob and I are not too worked up over the fact that we've been around for five decades. Just one more day older than the previous one, is how I look at it, so the "age thing" has never really bothered me. I don't know what this says about my past physical health, but I am probably healthier at this point in my life than I have ever been. (That really does make it seem like I was a couch potato for a large percentage of my life, but what I mean to say is that I've really been kicking it in as far as exercise goes lately)

Back when I first began this blog, on the very first post, I wrote the following:  The name [of this blog] comes from a conversation that I had with my mom many years ago.  She told me that the best time of her life was always the one in which she was living. Bob and I have adopted that sentiment and truly love whatever phase of life we are currently in.  ...And it is true, the best time of our lives is today! And that even applies as we turn the big 5-0!

Now, since Bob and I have birthdays that are only four days apart, we have never really thrown a big party for each other. It seems too strange to throw a party for the other, and then not have one thrown for you, or vice versa. For this big occasion, we (along with the kids) thought this might be just the time to have a shindig, so that's just what we're doing -- Bob and I are throwing a party for each other!

I'll post the invitation in a day or two. It is darling, and designed by my very talented niece.

Oh, and just for the record, I am calling on Monday to schedule that medical procedure appointment -- for both of us! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment