Sunday, February 2, 2014

A Thank You Note A Day...

So, here we are at the beginning of February. Remember the goal I set for this year to write a Thank You card each and every day the whole year long? I have a few things to report about that goal:

1. Indeed, I have succeeded in writing a Thank You card every day so far in 2014. It wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it might be.

2. I am finding that the benefits of this goal are many. I thought that it was merely to show gratitude for those around me. I didn't anticipate the experience it would be as each night, I took account of that day, and people in my life, and then began writing my gratitude and thoughts to a certain person that stood out to me at the time.

3. It wasn't hard to think of someone to write to each day. I am realizing how very blessed I am to be surrounded by wonderful people who touch my life in lovely ways. I find myself looking forward to my "note-writing" every night.

4. People love to hear gratitude for something they've done. I've received several texts, phone calls and conversations from my "note receivers". Again, it makes me realize that I need to express my gratitude to others more often. My family and friends need to know these things.

5. I now recognize that I probably didn't say "Thank You" half as much as I should have. Many times someone does something kind for me, or I hear a particularly touching lesson or talk in church, and I mean to mention it to the person, but I get busy and time passes. And before I know it, I've forgotten about it. 

6. It has become a sort of Gratitude Journal for me. It helps me recognize so many blessings in my life that occur just as a normal part of my day. I have kept a list of who I write the notes to and why I'm writing them. I began the list as a way of keeping track, so I wouldn't forget who I had written too, but it now looks very much like a list from a Gratitude Journal and it makes me smile to look at it.

So, as you can see, it has been a very good thing for me. I've learned much and I know there is still much for me to learn throughout the year. My hope is that this makes it more of a habit and that after the year is over, I just keep on writing. Through the years, one thing I've learned is the truthfulness of the quote below, and I want to do what I can to let my family and friends know how much I love and appreciate them.




No comments:

Post a Comment