Friday, April 12, 2013

Easy and inexpensive DIY topiaries


Have you noticed the topiaries that have been in catalogues and magazines in recent months? I have always loved topiaries, but to buy them from some of the catalog stores can be extremely expensive. These two little photos show real ivy topiaries from Pottery Barn that are beautiful, but expensive (not to mention the fact that they have to be kept alive to continue looking good!). The prices range from $189 to $229.


On my last trip to Taipan, I came across topiary balls and candlesticks of various sizes, and decided this would be an easy and quick project. Each topiary ended up costing from $13 to $17. Not bad, comparatively. I have to stop right here and say that at Taipan, they had different examples of topiaries using these balls sitting around. They were just perched on the candlesticks, without being glued down. So, I bought several sets and packaged one up as part of a birthday gift for my sister. After I had already given my sister her gift, I got the others out of the shopping bag and started playing around with them, I realized that they weren't going to stay perched on the candlestick without some way of gluing or holding them down. So, if you're reading this, Sheri, I need that present back so I can secure it well. I hate to think of you having that somewhere in your home, and that blasted topiary ball always toppling off when you least expect it!

Now that I have that off my chest, let's get on with the instructions for making a nicely secured topiary. I started with a candlestick or decorative clay pot. This example will show a glazed candlestick.


I took the topiary ball and found one of the two ends and plucked away the leaves from about a three inch diameter area. I used scissors to snip away any little bits of plastic that protruded from the base.


I checked to make sure the spot I had cleared away would fit nicely on top of the candlestick, and then carefully applied hot glue liberally to the top of the candlestick. I quickly set the topiary with the cleared spot right onto the hot glue and held it firmly until it dried. And there you have it... a darling little topiary that fits nicely into just about any room or decor. I am using mine in my living room. 

3 comments:

  1. I really like how your topiaries turned out. They seem really affordable and they're super cute! I am so glad I stopped by to check them out. I love the candle stick look. This would look great on my mantel. I'm visiting from Tuesdays the Scoop link party at The Farmhouse Porch. Have a wonderful day! ~ Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking they could be even more affordable by finding candlesticks at a thrift store and repainting them for the bases.... hmmm... maybe I need to make some more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The topiaries look great! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete