Saturday, January 12, 2013

Chicken and Fruit Lettuce Wrap

We are trying to eat lighter this year. We are pretty good at going down to the basement workout room to exercise, but we haven't worried too much about what we eat. So, since I'm the one who provides the meals, it seems like its up to me to get some lighter fare into our diets. I can't say that I make sure every single meal is purely healthy... we're getting there slowly but surely.

The other night, I needed to make a quick meal that we could eat between Bob getting home from work and running off to his Tuesday night meetings.  I had seen a chicken and apple lettuce wrap on Pinterest, and thought it might be just the thing.  I tweaked the recipe, and made it something we would love, and of course didn't take any photos of the finished product (but then I'm not really a food blogger, so I guess its okay).

We each ate one lettuce wrap and had some baked sweet potato fries to go along with. It was a perfectly satisfying and quick meal. The leftover chicken mixture was really good for the next couple of days for lunch. I'm sure if you are really cutting back, there are ways to make this even more healthy, but it was a good compromise for a husband who isn't really into diet food. :)

The recipe is as follows:

Chicken and Fruit Lettuce Wrap

1 rotisserie chicken (or 3 cooked chicken breasts) cut from the bones and chopped
1 Fuji apple, chopped (leave peel on)
1 c. red seedless grapes, cut in half
1 T. light mayo
1/2 c. coleslaw dressing (Lite dressing is best, if you can find it)
salt, pepper, onion powder
iceberg lettuce

Mix mayonnaise, coleslaw dressing, salt, pepper and a little dash of onion powder together in a bowl. Add chicken, apples and grapes and mix until everything is coated with the dressing.

Remove a leaf of the lettuce, and place some of the chicken mixture down one side of the lettuce leaf. Roll the leaf up like a wrap. Makes 6 lettuce wraps.

No comments:

Post a Comment