Wednesday, October 10, 2012

New York City

Bob and I went to New York for a few days last week. He had a business meeting in Long Island, and we thought it would be fun to go out together and spend a few days in the city.

We have been to New York a couple of times before, but there were some things I hadn't done yet... like go to the top of the Empire State Building. I've seen An Affair to Remember and Sleepless in Seattle enough times that I had to go up for myself! When we told the concierge at the hotel that we wanted to do that, he said that the view is much better from The Rock (another building... I'm guessing the Rockefeller Center, but I don't know... I wasn't really paying attention to what he told us about it). I hope he didn't catch me staring at him like his head was spinning around. Who wants to go to The Rock? I really didn't care what the view was like at the Empire State Building. I wanted to see it.

Then, as we neared the Empire State Building, we were told that there was so much fog, the visibility was really low. Again... I don't think I care. The fact of the matter is, since there was a low visibility, there were no lines to get to the top. There were line lanes all over the place inside of the building -- much like Disneyland -- but we were able to bypass all of that and buy our tickets and go right up in the elevators.

When we got to the top, this is what we saw...


And a view looking down...


Here is Bob. He smiled a bit like that when I told him I thought it would be romantic to act out a scene from one of the above movies. So... we didn't act out a scene, but he did kiss me up there. I'll take that.


My hair may or may not be feeling the effects of humid, damp air. And why is it that all of the photos that we take of ourselves with his phone are waaaaayyyy too close of me? He looks as amazing as always, but me, not so much.


The next day we went to Central Park. That was another of my "New York City things I haven't done yet". We had been all around the outside of the park, but never inside. So, Bob indulged me, and we went walking in the park. It was gorgeous! Full of huge, old trees and wonderful old bridges like the one he is standing on while taking my photo with his phone.


And here I am at the very same instant, taking a photo of him. When you are traveling as a couple, these are the kinds of photos you end up with. I may use them in our Christmas card this year.


And one look of the city. We never did see blue sky while we were there. It was hot, humid, and also a bit rainy here and there. We stayed at the Marriott Marquis, which was nice, because we were right there on Times Square.


We walked and walked all over Manhattan. We shopped and saw some sites and ate and shopped some more. So much fun! It was wonderful to be away together, even for just a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment