Wednesday, October 24, 2012

YW canvas art project and early voting!

                               

Early voting is one of the best inventions ever!  It seems that this election is really making everyone think a bit more seriously about their duty to vote, so I would think that means lines on election night. Four years ago there were lines. I know because I stood in them. This year, we decided to do it a differently and we went to vote right after out weekly lunch date (yep... every Wednesday for umpteen years, we have been going to lunch together. It gets both of us through the week!).

We drove up to the City Hall and walked right in. No lines. Not even one person in line. They had several workers at the tables ready to get voter signatures and give out the voting cards.

In the actual room where we voted, there were probably 15 booths, and only 3 people voting. What  a breeze. Plus, as an added bonus, they gave us candy and a free calendar on the way out. I've gotta say... early voting is the only way to go. L.O.V.E.D. it!

And on to my latest project. For our Joint Young Women activity in November, I am in charge of it. We are going to be making canvas art that we will display at the Young Women in Excellence night in December.

Bob (with his magic laser cutting machine) cut out 35 sets of letters out of wood. While he was gone to the BYU vs. Notre Dame game (BYU lost, but stayed in the game the whole time... he and Robbie loved their trip out to South Bend). Anyway... back to the craft. While Bob was gone, I had the weekend to craft and organize and even get some cleaning done. During the game, I glued all of the wood letters to the canvasses. (A much preferred method of "watching" the game, since I would eat myself silly out of nervousness if I wasn't busy working on something)


The theme for our YW in Excellence is just like the canvasses say: "be you tiful".  I finished all 35 canvasses. I say that loosely, because I finished 34, and had to have Bob cut me one more "t". It went missing somehow, so I actually finished up the 35th one today. Now they sit on my kitchen table.


Although this looks as if it is gray, it is actually a robin's egg blue. My camera wasn't really picking up on the color, and I didn't have time to fiddle around with the settings (not to mention the fact that I really don't know how to fiddle around with the settings).


At any rate, for the YW activity before the Evening in Excellence, we will have each of the girls paint up her own canvas in any color or design that she wants to. It will be fun to see what they come up with, to show their individuality.

No comments:

Post a Comment