Saturday, November 17, 2012

Wedding "Thank You" sign

This morning, I made a little sign for a darling girl in our ward who is getting married in a week. They'll be holding this sign as they pose for photos, and then one of those photos will go out as their Thank You cards. Such a fun idea!

I started with some wood that we had bought to make Christmas signs last year. It was from a 8' by 12" plank. Bob cut them for me to about 18" long. Then, I used a watered down warm brown craft paint to "stain" the wood.


After letting that dry, I painted three coats of a cream-colored craft paint over the whole thing. Then, with my Silhouette, I cut out the letters in vinyl. I looked for a cursive font that would show up, but none of them were chunky enough to show up on the finished product. I love the font. Its a free font called "Santas Sleigh".

After cutting the vinyl, I stuck the vinyl onto the board, and smoothed out the bubbles. Then, I used a little picking tool, and pulled out the vinyl letters, which left the blank letter spots surrounded by vinyl. This is where you have to be pretty meticulous, and not be too rushed. I smoothed out the bubbles again, and made sure everything was nice and pressed down. Then, I got the black paint and using a dry foam brush, dabbed small, dryish amounts over all of the areas where the vinyl letters had been pulled out. It took about four coats of dabbing like that -- with very little paint and a very dry brush -- to make sure the letters were filled in solid.

When it was all dry, I pulled the remaining vinyl off, and was left with something like this:


To finish if off, I ran my sander all around the edges, and a little here and there along the face of the sign, just to give it a little depth and character.

Done! And another item crossed off the list! I can't wait for the wedding festivities. The bride and her family are absolutely lovely, so I know it will be a wonderful affair!

No comments:

Post a Comment