Friday, May 17, 2013

"New" Aluminum-Leaf Mirror

When I re-did Wilson's room in preparation for him coming home, I tried to re-use whatever I could from his previous room's decor.

One of the items in his room, that I kept, is the mirror in the above photo, to the right. It is one that we bought when a local JCPenney was going out of business several years ago. It is H.E.A.V.Y. and a good, solid mirror.

The only problem was that it had a bronze-colored metal all around the edges. I know that shouldn't be a big deal, but with the color scheme that I was going with, it seemed to really stand out.

I thought about painting it, but that seemed troublesome with how heavy it is, and then trying to figure out a paint that would actually work and be easily applied.

And then I remembered this gem...

I bought that roll of aluminum foil tape a few years ago for a craft, and have used it time and again. It is about 2" wide and has an adhesive backing. It was the perfect thing to help transform my mirror.

First, I cleaned the edges of the mirror.

Then, I took the adhesive tape and cut a piece slightly longer than the first edge I wanted to cover. I laid it over the edge, leaving enough on the front to cover the little bit of frame that showed on the front of the mirror. After carefully applying it all the way down, I smoothed it down on the top edge, and then the front and back edge.

It almost gives it the look of "silver leafing". I love the way it turned out, and I love that it was a project I could complete using things I had on hand!

Next time you're in Home Depot, you may want to pick up a roll of this tape. I've used it in several different crafts, and the roll never seems to get any smaller!

No comments:

Post a Comment